The ACT Arts Centre Receives Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification™April 3, 2018
We are pleased to announce that The ACT Arts Centre has received a certification level of RHF Accessibility Certified Gold from the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification™ (RHFAC) program, effective March 19, 2018.
The Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification™ (RHFAC) program works to help improve accessibility of the built environment – the places where we live, work, and play – in Canada. It is a unique, LEED-style rating system, which evaluates the level of meaningful access of buildings and sites, and recognizes an organization’s commitment to accessibility through certification.
The ACT Arts Centre received a final rating score of 82% under the Commercial & Public Buildings module with 657 Total Earned Points out a Total Available Points of 805. 644 points are required for a RHF Accessibility Certified Gold (80%).
Building areas examined included:
- Exterior Approach & Entrance (pathways, ramp, stairs)
- Additional Use of Spaces (cafeterias/restaurants/bars, Public Assembly, Retail Outlets, Workstations)
- Emergency Systems (Building Evacuation Instructions, Emergency Exit/Refuges, Fire Alarm Systems)
- Interior Circulation (Corridors and Hallways, Door Security and Entry Systems, Doors and Doorways, Elevator, Interior Stairs, Path of Travel)
- Interior Services & Environment (Acoustic Considerations, Illumination, Lobby and Reception Area, Reception Desks and Service Counters, Waiting Areas and General Seating)
- Sanitary Facilities (Showers, Washrooms)
- Vehicular Access (General Vehicular Access)
- Wayfinding, Signage, and Information (Communications, Directory Board/Information Kiosk, Room Signage, Wayfinding and General Signage)
To learn more, please visit www.rickhansen.com/Our-Work/Accessibility-Certification-Program.